Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Speaking of magazines...



My Dear Mom sent me a box full of magazines. Most of them were old (years old) Reminisce and Good Old Days magazines, but a small handful were actual vintage old.

She sent me two Good Housekeepings from '48 and '49, a Popular Photography issue from '57, two Literary Digests one from '33 and one from '35,  two Times one from '43 and one from '45, and my favourite Automobile and Trailer Travel Magazine from '41.

These are going to give me some good reads. As much as I love sugar coated fluffy bunnies and superficial entertainment guilt, it will be nice to give myself some historic education for things beyond cinema and fashion of the 30s and 40s!

As always your comments are loved and appreciated!


4 comments:

  1. I used to get a lot of Reminisce from my grandma when she was done reading them. Because they are full of old pictures from a bunch of different decades, I get lots of sewing inspiration (and hair too). THe popular photography looks dreamy as well. have fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abigail! Those magazines are a great way to look into the lives of the everyday person of the eras. Models and movie stars are great as well, but sometimes the general public's photos are just as exciting!

      Delete
  2. Vintage magazines are a passion of mine. I love learning about how life was life, and you learn some great life tips that just aren't passed down anymore. You learn so much!

    I also adore Reminisce and have been subscribing to it for several years. Even though I wasn't living during the time, I learn so much. When you subscribe to it and Reminisce Extra, it comes every month. I also get inspiration from history magazines such as America in World War II (which also has a pin-up every month). I also like Mary Jane's Farm, which while it isn't a vintage magazine, contains a lot of great old-school home and garden care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have a smile on my face when I read Reminisce. The stories that people share are always charming and heart warming! I have never heard of America in WWII, I'll have to take a look for it next time I am out at a book store. :) Mary Jane's Farm also sounds like a treat to read!

      Delete